October 13, 2007

SONNET XVII by Pablo Neruda

I do not love you as if you were a rose made of salt or topaz
or an arrow of carnations spreading fire:
I love you the way certain dark things are loved,
secretly, between the shadow and the soul

I love you like the plant that never blooms,
but conceals within itself the light of those flowers;
and, thanks to your love, the darkness of my body
houses the suffocating aroma that arose from the earth.

I love you without knowing how, when, or where from;
I love you straightforwardly, with neither problems nor pride:
I love you thus, not knowing how to love you otherwise

than this way whereby neither ‘you’ nor ‘I’ exist…
so close that your hand on my chest is mine,
so close that your eyes grow heavy when I tire.


awww...i really fell in love with this sonnet, especially when i first heard it (it was featured on the movie patch adams, starring robin williams). neruda expresses love in its purest sense, it's a bit sad and yet a very romantic poem... this poem encompasses the meaning of true love... the last two verses are my favorite parts...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i fell in love with this poem the first time heard it...

its a wonderful feeling to hear such an exquisite poem, much more if its being spoken by a special person...

(hayz... dhl s poem n toh feeling ko tuloy ang sarap ma in love!)

Anonymous said...

waw. try mo ung saddest poem, or tonight i can write the saddest lines.. ndi ko un memorized by heart, but that's the firsts i've read from him. :)

N A P S T E R said...

cge try q read den post q...hehehe

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

this is very good for you, ybg :)